Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Work of Art Awards! Big News!

11:45 AM

Gypsy is a finalist in the "Creative Arts and Business Partnership" category for this year's Work of Art Awards for our partnership with Joe Wos' Dr. Sketchy events benefiting the Pittsburgh ToonSeum.



At first, I was told not to say anything about this when it was still an unsubstantiated rumor, being that the information is yet to be announced, but the announcement date of April 15 is come and gone and my promise to keep mum gone with it.

I have to tell you I am really excited about it. I am familiar with the WofAA because we attended as representatives of City Theatre's "Cast of Caterers" with City in 2007. In that case, CT applied for this nomination--in this case, I don't know who nominated our partnership with Dr. Sketchy/ToonSeum. I am told that the representative from WofAA said they were happy to see us as part of this because "there is always something creative going on" at Gypsy and they were pleased about our willingness to partner with Arts orgs.


Lots of mixed feelings here, but all in a good way. First is that it brought tears to my eyes to think that someone had noticed that we take a creative approach to our place in the community. We are creative people, I suppose, and this proves it. Second, I suppose I may naturally have a more community-oriented focus than most--but it kind of makes me a little sad to think that this category needs to exisit. Shouldn't we all be working together all of the time? That's a little blue sky I suppose, but my mantra is always that if we don't do it together, we'll never do it alone. I suppose I should blame all those Social Democracy ideals I loved in college. (...so nice if it could work!)


So I won't post this just yet--I will wait for the confirmation of the rumor--funny thing is, they've contacted us to provide some food at the event also--I'm kind of waiting it out so I can see what we'll be availble to do if we get to attend as guests!

No comments:

Post a Comment